Friday, February 6, 2009

Who's angry?

I feel horrible that I took pleasure in Obama’s angry fist speech last evening. Forgive me. But hey, I’m angry too. This bill is junk…! I don’t need a teleprompter to tell you that. I also think the language of this bill needs to reflect exactly what it is, spending, not stimulus.

$142 Billion for “education”. An unprecedented federal spending increase for education will not improve economic growth. Moreover, past experience strongly suggests that this plan will not improve American educational performance. Since 1985, actual federal spending on K–12 education has increased 138%. But higher federal spending has not increased American educational performance, long-term test scores, or graduation rates. Here’s the kicker, there are procedures in place to request increases in spending outside of this bill. The only reason this is in the Spending (Stimulus) Bill is that it will pass quicker, without voter accountability. That’s it. But, don’t question it, because you’ll be accused of hurting the children.

More waste? Given all of the warnings and health research out there about the dangers of smoking. If you still chose to smoke, you should suffer the consequences. I know that sounds harsh, but if I chose to eat acid…well, there you go. Why do I bring this up? Well, in direct opposition to the $75 million to fund programs to help people quit smoking.

$335 million for treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases. Same deal here, especially since this benefit traditionally goes to the free clinics out there not folks who have jobs, and traditional health insurance. This bill gives relief to the unemployed or underpaid worker who simply cannot afford the consequence of their actions (Pregnancy, STD) but still want to enjoy the activities. I blame this on the continued ‘sexualization’ of society and the decline of moral values. Specifically, the removal of religion from our schools and households. Also, again, if you chose to sleep around…well there you go; enjoy your ‘living’ gift. You thought watching Sea Monkey’s grow was cool, wait until you see….ok, ok, I’ll stop there.

Look at me, by introducing this phenomenal new concept called “accountability” I just saved the taxpayer $1.8 Billion dollars. I’ll take my commission, now, please, in gold or another precious metal since I can tell you with this type of spending being introduces as cures those dollars you have will soon be as valuable as a Mexican Peso.

I can save much more, $50 million to the National Endowment for the Arts. Let’s create two columned checklist, a really simple one. In one column we write “items that will create jobs” the next we write “useless pork”. Or, for my illustrative purposes, “somewhat helpful stuff” and “pure crap”.

Somewhat Helpful stuff

Pure Crap

$2 billion to help subsidize child care. (if you need Childcare, hopefully you are going to work)

$400 million for research into global warming. (isn’t this referred to as climate change now?, maybe it’s $400 mil for a name change and branding issues) CRAP

$32 billion for a “smart electricity grid to minimize waste. (weird, but will probably create jobs hopefully not at the expense of jobs within the coal industry)

$2.4 billion for projects to demonstrate how carbon greenhouse gas can be safely removed from the atmosphere. (Really? Now?)

$87 billion of Medicaid funds, to aid states (I hate it, but I also have met a few Medicaid dependant seniors and I feel for them)

$650 million for coupons to help consumers convert their TV sets from analog to digital, part of the digital TV conversion. (When did it become the Government’s responsibility to provide TV?)

$53.4 billion for science facilities, high speed Internet, and miscellaneous energy and environmental programs. (should boost the IT industry, the word miscellaneous scares me though)

$600 million to buy a new fleet of cars for federal employees and government departments. (What? Why should you get a new car when the rest of America is forced to repair theirs to save money, subsidize mechanics, that will save jobs and cars)

10.3 billion for tax credits to help families defray the cost of college tuition. (Yay!, should exclude any liberal colleges, but I know I’m just being picky here)

$21 million to re-sod the National Mall, which suffered heavy use during the Inauguration. (have you seen my lawn? Obama’s campaign $ should pay for any damages)

$2.25 billion for national parks. ($2.25 billion is about equal to the National Park Service’s entire annual budget, what’s going on here?)

$13 billion to repair and weatherize public housing, help the homeless, repair foreclosed homes. (How about spend the same amount on equipping out homeless to find jobs, maybe train them to weatherize public housing, which they can later live in…)

$20 billion for quicker depreciation and write-offs for equipment. (What?...I don’t get this one $20 bill to write of junk? Here’s an idea, auction it…have a yard sale…)

$20 billion over five years for an expanded food stamp program. (I hate it to the core, there are enough gov’t handouts, and too much abuse. Nearly everyone knows someone who has abused this system in some fashion…if you don’t I’ll introduce you to a few)

$44 million to renovate the headquarters building of the Agriculture Department. (Is it falling apart?)

$1 billion for Amtrak (I beg you to tell me when the last time this industry reported a profit…you can’t, can you…let’s not reward anymore corporate mismanagement. I know someone is going to try to point out that this money is actually to provide mass transit options in metropolitan areas. I argue that if there are no jobs to go to, then why do we need mass transit to get to them? Seriously, the roads will be empty ;-) Realistically, what did the interstate project due for the depression? )




No comments: