Friday, November 7, 2008

Get to work...

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 [ESV]

Economic turmoil, massive layoffs, 14 year high in jobless claims as one new report is claiming. Even as I write this my employer is making plans to cut programs which in-turn affects employees. That said, since when did we have to fear for our future? Sure, there are those of us who are disappointed, hurt, frustrated, and to have these feelings is not wrong. However, don’t spend too much time in worry, hurt, anger, and disappointment, as they are negative, selfish emotions. You have so much to live for, so much to do…

Personally, I have left comfort and invested completely in faith more times than many of us can ever imagine. Most recently, I left a very lucrative “job” in Massachusetts to return home to Colorado on faith knowing that it would be better for my family. No comfort was waiting for me, other than my family and my faith. I truly had no income, no place to live, and no promising employment leads…only the trust and knowledge that my faith will present me with opportunity as it always has.

What did I do? I certainly didn’t spend my time sitting around the house, reading want ads, applying online to job openings until my eyes crossed in utter exhaustion. Well, maybe a little; but, more importantly I maintained my professional routine. I woke up and dressed as if I were heading out to work. I made my usual stop for coffee, and ordered my usual overpriced beverage. The only difference was, instead of going to work and planting myself into a cubicle; I visited prospective employers trying to present myself to as many people that were willing to listen to me. I expanded my network, and continued to keep my faith. The point is I didn’t quit living. I didn’t sit and wait for something to come to me…I went out there, made connections, and ultimately I was called to be where I am today. For however long it may be.

“Get to work”, as I recall, was the favorite saying of one of my 1st bosses. I echo it here, just because you may not have a “professional arena” to report to today does not mean you aren’t supposed to get to work on something.

BTW: The Panic-attack inspiring Broncos won! Though it was close, as usual, they pulled it off.

No comments: